Trump calls erectile disorder a ‘disaster’ and ‘disorder’ in comments to reporters
NEW YORK — President Donald Trump on Tuesday called erectile disfunction a “disaster” and a “devastating” condition, and called for a “total and complete shutdown of immigration to the United States until our country’s leaders can figure it out.”
Trump made the remarks at the White House, which were his first since a report surfaced last week that he was considering temporarily barring Muslims from entering the country and instituting a temporary ban on refugees from Syria, the Middle East and other countries.
The president was responding to a question from a reporter, who said Trump had said “he was thinking of a shutdown of Muslims entering the U.S.”
The president did not offer details on the situation, saying “there is no question that we have a problem.”
He added, “This is a problem, and we’re going to get it fixed.
But we have to have a very thorough and thorough investigation.
I mean, I can tell you, this is a catastrophe, and it’s a problem.
And it’s going to be a real problem.”
The White House said the president’s comments were a response to a story published last week by The Associated Press that he had called erectiligence a “distraction” and “disorder.”
Trump has not directly addressed the reports, but in an interview with CBS News on Monday, he dismissed the reports as “a total fabrication.”
“It’s not true, and they made up it,” he said.
“They never made it up.
I don’t care what they say.”
Trump’s comments drew immediate criticism from other top Republican lawmakers, who accused the president of trying to deflect attention from his administration’s handling of the opioid crisis.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the comments were “outrageous,” and Senate Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R, La., said “it is deeply troubling that the president is trying to divert attention from the tragic situation at home.”
Sen. Marco Rubio, R -Fla., said Trump was attempting to “shackle his own party” and said he would oppose any executive order that “does not have broad public support.”
He said Trump should not be trying to use the issue of erectile dysfunction as an excuse to limit entry to the country.
Trump, who has repeatedly called erectility a “disease,” has previously said he’s “not a fan” of the condition and is “going to be the first one to be president who doesn’t have erectile problems.”
Trump told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren last week, “I have a great erectile problem.”
Earlier Tuesday, the president was on the phone with his physician to discuss the condition, White House spokesman Raj Shah said in a statement.